Monday 8 August 2011

Thames Trots

Down Tow Up Flow Half Marathon.

The race was the first long distance running event since i completed the Marathon in April, it followed the Thames tow path from Marlow into Windsor. The course was flat so i set out hard and aimed to run as close to my PB as possible. Although i knew this was going to be tough as i entered Cookham at the four mile marker, I suffered with bowel problems and was forced to take a pit stop, getting any where near my PB was going to be a challenge! Disappointed and frustrated with myself i attempted to make up the time lost by attacking tricky corners, road crossings and bridge crossings.
The beautiful scenery of the course took my focus from my bowels and allowed me to run and enjoy the course, well for three and a half miles until i had had to pull over for a second pit stop and this did not improve, a third stop off came close to the ten mile marker, this was not a good run! Runs being the appropriate word! The course itself was not closed off from the public, so i apologies to fellow athletes, cyclists, dogs and walkers. Going into the last three miles i still had my sights set on subing 1hr 30mins, so i picked up the pace and focused on catching up the athletes ahead. I cracked it, running a respectable 1hr 28 mins which included 3 pit stops and a dehydrated body. The run was a serious wake up call, to how difficult the Iron Man is going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment